Fast Exit

Brandon, Mississippi

What You Need to Know about Divorce in Brandon and Rankin County

You already know Rankin County is a great place to live and raise a family. What you may not know is it is in the 20th Chancery Court District and a participant in the Mississippi Electronic Courts (MEC) system, which means after a case is initiated, we can file documents from the convenience and privacy of our office. The days of having to be across the street from the courthouse in Downtown Brandon are long gone.  While we are located in the next county over, we routinely practice in Rankin County, helping folks who live in Brandon, Pearl, Flowood, Richland and all over Rankin County.

There are three full time Judges who hear and make decisions on a wide variety of matters in your district.  These range from divorce, child custody, child support, paternity and other family law matters. They also hear cases involving land, probate of estates and mental health. The local paper for Brandon and Rankin County is the Rankin County News, which publishes legal notices about divorce and other chancery court filings in Rankin County. This often causes concern for our clients, although they are rarely read by the general public. 

Once a case is filed in the Rankin County Chancery Clerk's office, it is then assigned to a Judge on a rotating basis. We have no control over the Judge assigned to your case, and each certainly brings a different world view and life experience to the bench. If your case is on a contested track and needs to go to trial, we will contact the Court Administrator, who is the person managing the Judge’s calendar. Many cases do not require a trial. These are called ex parte, which is Latin for “one side only.” In Rankin County, these matters are heard on Fridays, which is when we have routine Orders entered.

Some temporary matters are referred to a Family Master chosen by the senior chancellor and approved by the Supreme Court of Mississippi.  This person, who is a practicing attorney, has the authority to make temporary decisions which will later be subject to review by the Judge assigned to your case. 

For more general information about divorce and other aspects of family law, visit one of these links:

We Can Help You

Here is the way this works. If you live in Brandon or Rankin County and are faced with the prospect of divorce, please call our office (601-898-8655) or confidentially submit a basic intake form so our staff can complete a standard conflict check. That’s when we make sure nothing on this end will stand in the way of us being helpful. Then, we will schedule a time for you to visit with one or more of our attorneys to go over your situation.

Brandon, Mississippi 
Rankin County Chancery Court
20th Chancery Court District

Troy Odom

John C. McLaurin

Haydn Roberts

Court Administrators
Lori Hill 601-825-9208
Cindy Edwards 601-591-4722 
Shanna McLaurin 601-824-2448

Chancery Clerk
Larry Swales

103 Town Square
Brandon, Mississippi 39042

Link to Rankin County Website
Link to Rankin County Chancery Court Page
Link to City of Brandon Website
Link to City of Flowood Website

Take the first step.

When you think you are ready to be more informed through customized analysis, the best thing we offer is to sit with you in person or over a conference call to educate you and think through your goals and a plan to accomplish them. This will make you feel better –more informed and more in control. You can start the process by simply calling the office or by clicking the link below to confidentially submit an Intake Form and we will contact you.

Call 601-898-8655

or Submit an Intake Form