Child Support

As in most states, Mississippi has child support guidelines that are used to determine the amount of child support that the non-custodial parent will pay to the custodial parent. The duty to pay child support continues until the child turns 21 or is otherwise emancipated. Mississippi’s child support guidelines are some of the lowest in the nation.

If the person paying child support makes between $10,000.00 and $100,000.00 per year, the court will apply a strict formula to determine the amount of child support. These payments are typically made on a monthly basis, usually on the first or the fifteenth day of the month. The guidelines will be presumed applicable in child support awards:

Number Of Children     Percentage of Net Income
1                                                         14%
2                                                         20%
3                                                         22%
4                                                         24%
5 or more                                          26%

The guidelines apply unless the Judge makes a written or specific finding on the record that the application of the guidelines would be unjust or inappropriate in a particular case. The term "adjusted gross income" in reality means one’s net income. In cases in which the adjusted gross income as defined in this section is more than $100,000.00 or less than $10,000.00, the court shall make a written finding in the record as to whether or not the application of the guidelines are reasonable.

There are other forms of child support that the Court can and will apply over and above the child support guidelines. These include things like health insurance and uncovered medical expenses, life insurance and college education. There is not a strict formula to determine which one of these additional expenses, if any, the Court will order be paid. Most chancellors agree that the non-custodial parent will have some obligation for health insurance and uncovered expenses, and if either one of the parents has a college education and they are relatively close to their child and the child is nearing college age, this is another common expense that the Judge may require a non-custodial parent to pay or share with the custodial parent. 

Sign up for an e-Course!

"Should I Stay or Should I Go?"

The free “Stay or Go” e-Course will provide you with some insight that will help you answer the initial questions you are facing if contemplating divorce. You'll enjoy a series of emails that will be delivered to the privacy of any email account you choose, but can be stopped at any time.

  • Captcha Image
  • Please send me the FREE e-Course!


Through my entire divorce it has seemed like you understand exactly what I have been going through and that has been so helpful...
-- K.G.

This is not an easy letter to write. I consider myself fairly astute at putting pen to paper but there are not words enough to express my genuine heartfelt thanks for what you have done for me and for my future. Living 15 hours away created numerous obstacles in trying to hire an attorney that I knew I could trust...
-- S.S.

I wanted to E-mail you two and let you know how much I appreciate everything that you guys have done for me. You both made my divorce so easy. I just want you to know how much I appreciate you and, I am so grateful for everything that you did. I think that both of you are GREAT!! I can't say thank you enough!
-- L.D.

I just wanted to thank you for all of your hard work in helping to finalize the child support settlement. I know that we got off from the wrong start, but I think that personal stressors contributed to my perception of your work (home-schooling, ex-husband, etc…). You did an excellent job, and I would highly recommend you to anyone seeking expert legal advice. L.C. is very lucky to have you, but I’m sure that he is already well aware of that.
-- Claire

Last News

What Color is the Dress- Perception and Family Law

Posted on Friday, February 27, 2015

Last night, while settling in for a relaxing evening, my wife showed me the picture that you see to the left.  Casually, she asked, “What color is this dress?” READ MORE

Contact R+A

Phone: 601/ 898.8655
Fax: 601/ 898.9767
Office: 128 North Maple Street, Suite A
Ridgeland, Mississippi 39157
Mailing: P.O. Box 2055, Ridgeland, MS 39158
Jackson, Mississippi Divorce and Family Law Attorneys